The Thomson-Gordon Group strives to be recognized by our customers as their best choice for the products and services that we provide. To be the best demands a genuine commitment to innovation, problem solving, service and quality. Our goal is to provide products and services that represent the best possible value for our customer’s needs.
In 1849, Captain George Thomson, who emigrated from Berwick Upon Tweed, England, was awarded the position of lighthouse keeper of the Burlington Canal Lighthouse in Hamilton, Ontario. For 29 years, Captain Thomson recorded his weather observations in a diary, which were so meticulous that they are considered the official records for weather during that time.
Today, the lighthouse still stands where it was originally built, at the entrance of the Hamilton Harbour, and can be viewed in the video here.
Writing home from the front in 1916, Major George J. Thomson continued to be involved in all aspects of his fledgling Canadian industrial distribution business including the decision to hire a third employee.
The Major considered himself fortunate to have survived the Great War that saw so many of his comrades perish. Arriving back home in Hamilton, Ontario from overseas, he immediately involved himself in company affairs and expansion plans.
By 1936, George together with partner Earl Gordon, had steered their Company into manufacturing and distribution of a variety of products focussed mostly on stationary and Marine Engineers. The company supplied braided and sheet packings (which were manufactured on the premises) as well as tools, valves, piping and fittings, boiler supplies, nuts and bolts, and essentially everything the engineers needed to keep their steam plants alive. Son George J.V. Thomson had been a commercial photographer and architect but dropped these pursuits to come into the business. His interests moved business growth toward the addition of general Mill Supplies including items for plant maintenance people. Air compressors, paint, pressure and temperature gauges, and roadside lanterns were added.
The Major's Grandson and third generation owner George A. (Sandy) Thomson had been trained as a pilot and Mechanical engineer. He entered the business as sales Manager in 1965 and was responsible for the development of the Thordon bearing. He started exporting in 1967 and travelled the world, setting up distribution selling the basic shapes from which to make Thordon bearings. Gradually, the distributed products were dropped and focus shifted to bearings and seals for marine and industry.
In 2005 Anna Galoni, Sandy's step-daughter entered the business to become the fourth generation owner. Anna, born in Poland had previously held a position as a scientist in the medical services business.
George J. Thomson's word was his bond and from his earliest days a handshake was a contract. Through all the product innovations and business liaisons that have made Thomson-Gordon Group products respected in Marine, Hydro Power and industrial circles, one thing hasn't changed; positive and strong working relationships with customers, distributors, agents and employees as well as with suppliers. They form the cornerstone of every major endeavour, through each business transition.